If you like this article, please share:
RECIPE FOR ASPARAGUS AND CHICKEN STIR-FRY
Source: Adapted and modified from Special Quick & Delicious Vegetable Cookbook (by Chef Alan Kok and Bryan Ong)
90g chicken breast (diced) (Note 1)
130g asparagus (peeled and diced) (Note 2)
30g red capsicum (diced) (Note 3)
1 red onion (peeled and diced)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
½ tbsp light soy sauce
¼ tsp salt (optional)
½ tsp sugar
Dash of sesame oil and pepper
1 tsp corn flour solution (for thickening)
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp oil
- Marinate chicken breast with some light soy sauce, sugar and corn flour. Refrigerate for at least ½ hour.
- Heat up wok with 1 tbsp oil. Add in chicken cubes and stir-fry quickly until it is cooked. Dish up and set aside (Note 4).
- Heat up wok again with another1 tbsp oil, sauté onion until translucent and fragrant.
- Add in asparagus, capsicum, seasonings (group A) and water. Stir-fry under high heat until it is tender crisp (Note 5).
- Add in chicken and mix well.
- Thicken with corn flour solution and mix well. Dish up and serve.
- You can substitute the chicken breast with the more tender de-boned chicken thighs. However, I personally prefer the former because it has lesser fat. Alternatively, you can also use prawns.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the outer layer for each stem about 1/3 of its length towards the end. Trim off the end for each stem about 1-2cm as this part is usually tough.
- If you like to add some spiciness to this dish, you can replace capsicum with 1 red chili (removed seed and diced).
- Cooking chicken separately so that it will not be over-cooked during the stir-frying process.
- You need to adjust the cooking time based on the size and diameter of the asparagus used. If you prefer your asparagus to be slightly soft, you can either blanch it over boiling water before cooking or simmer it with lid cover for 10 seconds in step (4).