Steamed Banana Cupcakes

steamed banana cakes, steamed banana cupcakes, steamed banana muffins, steamed cakes, mushipan, steamed sponge cakes, snack, toddler, children, kid, steaming, food 4 tots

My steamed muffins and cupcakes recipes have been gaining popularity among my readers particularly two groups. The first group is those who have no oven while the second group comprises mommies who prefer steaming to baking. They love these recipes so much so that they have been requesting me to post more of such recipes on my blog.

In a way to thank their kind support, here is another MUST TRY steamed cake recipe for sharing. Adapted from Amanda of Held by Love, Bake from Scratch, it’s a handed down recipe from her friend’s mother. These cupcakes are dairy-free and contain no butter. After trying it out, I must admit that this is one of the BEST steamed muffin recipes I have ever tried. These cupcakes are soft, moist and filled with banana flavour. Even without the brownish top crust as what you can get from baking, their taste is surprisingly good. They also look pretty too with their tiny purplish banana fiber appearing all over the surface.

One common problem I have encountered with most steamed recipes is that the cakes tend to turn dry and dense after cooling. But this recipe is an exception as it uses bananas which keep the cakes stay moist for a longer period of time. That is also why I’m always interested to try out recipes that use bananas.

For this recipe, you can use either fresh or frozen bananas. Both work well. When I made these cupcakes, I used frozen bananas as they were what I have in my kitchen. No matter what your choice is, the most important thing is to ensure that they are fully ripened so that the cupcakes will taste great.

These cupcakes are easy to make and even easier to love. They are perfect as morning breakfast, tea time treat or back-to-school snack. They are great eaten both warm and cool. They also freeze well.

Get the recipe and step-by-step photos for Steamed Banana Cupcakes at PAGE 2 BELOW.

1. I love your steamed cupcakes… They look so petite and “gentle”…..

2. I love banana and this recipe is definitely on my to do list. Thanks for sharing :)

3. OMG.. these looks so perfect and amazing.. loved your presentation too.. great job :)

4. Working Mum says:

Hi! This looks lovely! But I heard not all type of bananas are suitable for children.
    Do you think this recipe will still work if I use pumpkin instead of banana?

5. Winnie says:

hi,may i know where can i buy double acting baking powder from? i couldnt get it from cold storage

6. mrsyap says:

Hi, just to check. After steaming for 15mins or until cooked, do I have to off the fire first before opening the lid slightly to release the heat? Thks.

7. Paulynn C says:

Hi…I’ve follow your steps but my muffin turn out to be rise as much like your pumpkin muffin version.

I’ve tried to compare both of the recipes and realised that pumpkin muffin don’t need baking soda?

Do you know what’s wrong with that?

Paulynn C: Thank you for your kind feedback. I had tried this recipe twice and they turned out without any cracking. Could it be due to the mould that you use is different than mine?

8. Corynne says:

Hi, great job with your website! Im motivated to cook now coz your recipes all sounded so simple! I hAve a noob question to ask. I have baking powder but im not sure if it is double acting. Would it turn out the same if i use the normal baking powder?

9. Jayna says:

Hi,

Som recipe will add oil and lastly flour, but this recipe flour then oil.

Any reason why so?

10. NicolleChung says:

I’m a newbie. Never bake before. Going to try this recipe for my little girl’s upcoming birthday. Can I just use hand whisk, without adding sugar and salt into the recipe? Please advise. Thanks!

NicolleChung: Yes, you can but you will need a strong arm to do the beating. :) Baking is about science. I would suggest that you follow closely this recipe to get the best results. Happy Birthday to your little girl in advance!

11. shy says:

i just made this last few weeks. my picky eater baby and even his dad loves it! i hope some other ingredients lie flour, oil, etc are in cups. hehe. sorry for not having the knowledge. (. will definitely make this again tonight or tomorrow still waiting our bananas to arrive ((= thanks and more power.

12. Roslyn says:

Hi there,
    Yr blog really encouraged me to bake. When I tried the banana cupcakes, it turn out to be not moist. Can I ask why pls?

Roslyn: Thank you for sharing your feedback. There are many reasons that your cupcakes are not moist. May I know whether you have followed my recipe closely without changing anything? Sometimes, it could be due to wrong measurement, over-under mixing, wrong moulds and steaming problems. If you have photos, please send me a copy to have a look. :)

13. Please give me how much is 150 gm of flour, 100 Gm of sugar and 75 gm of oil by using cups since we do not use the metric system?

14. AL says:

The cupcakes taste divine!! :P Thank you for sharing the great recipe! BTW, for consumption tomorrow, do I still need to store the cupcakes in the freezer, or referigerate, or leave it out overnight?

AL: Thank you so much for the prompt If you have just baked them and would like to consume them the next morning, it is find to store them in an air tight container at room temperature. They will be even more moisture the next day. :)

15. Lydia says:

Thank you for the fantastic recipe. The cupcakes are light and fluffy , taste heavenly with slight coconut fragrance from the virgin coconut oil used. I’ve made them 3 times, even my hubby who is not fond of sweet cakes, loves them. Thank you very much! Gonna try your other recipes soon.

16. HT says:

Very pretty petite cupcakes!

Side tracked abit, may I know the brand of the mixer that you are using?
    I am very new to baking.

17. YSan says:

Hi, I am a beginner in this.
    May I know what I can substitute with for
    low protein flour (cake flour) & double acting baking powder.

I only have normal wheat flour.

YSan: You can replace low protein flour with plain flour (or normal wheat flour). The texture will be different. For double acting baking powder, I don’t know how to substitute. So sorry about that. :)

18. Rini says:

Thank you for this great recipe.. Just tried this.. And they taste very good.. My picky eater toddler even ask for more and more.. :)
    I will definetely make another batch of these soon.. Thanks again..

19. Fujiloo says:

Hi.. Thanks for this easy to follow recipe! IT TASTES GOOD! However, looking at your pictures, I’m just wondering how did you turn it brown? Did you put anything in it? In my 1st and 2nd attempt, the cupcakes turned white in color.

I tried to do it for the 3rd time, I put some yellow & brown food coloring in it… and I’m so happy that it turned out great! I got the color right!

Fujiloo: Thank you for your kind feedback, and so glad you like it. I’m not sure why yours turned out white. I didn’t use any food colouring. I suspect this may due to some of the ingredients I used such as cake flour (unbleached), sugar (cane sugar) and banana (type: Berangan, fully ripe and frozen). :)

20. Christina says:

Hi,I have tried this recipe for the 4th time and gets disappointed of the cracks on top of my cupcakes.. Can you help me figure out why this happen in my cupcake? I really love your steamed cupcakes,they look so smooth on top!

21. Mandy says:

I should steam the cupcake and the keep in the freezer for next day consumption or keep without steam?

Mandy: If you consume these cupcakes the next day, you can just keep in the fridge (not freezer) and steam before eating. Alternatively, keep them inside an air-tight container. In this case, you can eat them straight without steaming. However, steaming will always give you a better taste to these cupcakes. :)