If you like this article, please share:
RECIPE FOR LEMON CHEESECAKE AKA ICEBOX CHEESECAKE (NON-BAKED)
Source: Unknown (My ex-colleague, J adapted from a coobook)
Pan required: 20cm (8″) round shape baking tin (lined with grease proof sheet)
For the crust:
11 slices wholemeal/ digestive biscuits – refer photo (d)
55g unsalted butter
For the filling:
1 tbsp gelatine powder
3 tbsp water
250g cream cheese, at room temperature –refer photo (c)
60g castor sugar
2 large egg yolks (refer to note 1)
Grated lemon zest (from 1 large lemon, use only the yellow part)) – refer photo (a)
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp cointreau (I had omitted it)
150ml dairy whipping cream – refer photo (b)
Pepper mints (for ganishing) – optional
Stage 1: To make the crust:
- Put biscuits in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin/ glass bottle. (refer photo 1)
- Melt butter in a pan.
- Mix biscuits crumbs and melted butter in a bowl until well combined. Then put into a baking tin.
- Cut out the plastic bag (from step 1 in stage 1) and cover it over the crumbs. Use both your hands/ a presser to press the crust evenly and firmly over the bottom of the baking tin. (refer photo 2)
- Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate (removed after step 7 in stage 2). Now, proceed with stage 2.
Stage 2: To make the filling:
- Dilute gelatine powder with water in a small bowl. Set aside. (refer photo 3)
- Beat cream cheese and sugar until soft and creamy. (refer photo 5)
- Add in egg yolk, and then follow by lemon zest. Mix well. Set aside.
- Transfer the diluted gelatine powder together with the bowl (from step 1 in stage 2) into a sauce pan filled with some water. Heat up the sauce pan under low heat. Stir the diluted gelatine powder until fully dissolved (refer photo 4). Then pour it into mixture from step 3 (stage 2) and mix quickly.
- Add in lemon juice and conintreau (if any). Mix well. Set aside.
- Whip cream with a hand whisk until creamy and soft peak. Do not over-beat the cream. (refer photo 6)
- Fold in (remember to fold, not stir) whipping cream into mixture from step 5 (stage 2) until well combined. If the mixture is too dry, add some cold or iced water and beat until the consistency is close to the beaten cream cheese. (refer photo 7)
- Spoon the filling onto the crust (prepared in stage 1). Smoothen the surface. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours (best overnight) until firm before serving (refer photo 8).
- Raw egg is not recommended for infants, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems. To avoid the risk of salmonella infection, you can use pasteurized egg yolk instead. Pasteurized egg are eggs which have been heated to a temperature high enough to destroy the Salmonella.