If you like this article, please share:
RECIPE FOR APPLE MUFFINS
Source: Modified from 西点学习大百科
Make: 18 – 24 small muffins
Size of muffin cup: 4cm diameter (base) x 6cm diameter (opening) x 3.5cm height
100g unsalted butter
120g castor sugar
2 eggs (large, about 64g) – lightly beaten
150g cake flour
50g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoons baking soda
120 ml milk
Pinch of salt
2 large apples (about 300g each) – retain 100g as topping
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 220°c.
- Prepare apple filling: First, cut out one slice (about 100g with skin) to reserve as topping. Soak into salted water for a while to prevent discoloration and set aside. Peel and slice the rest of the apples to about 1.5cm thickness. Core and cut into 3mm “triangle”slice. Then add apple slices, sugar and lemon to a cooking pan. Using a wooden spatula, cook with medium high heat until the water is fully evaporated and the apple slices turn soft. Set aside to cool.
- Mix cake flour, plain flour, baking powder and baking soda together and sieve. Set aside.
- Using electric mixer, cream butter until light and pale.
- Add in sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Add sugar in 2-3 times and make sure the mixture is well blended for each addition.
- Add in lightly beaten egg and beat until well mix. Then add in salt and mix again.
- Add in half of the milk and mix well. Sift in half of the flour mixture. Use a hand whisk to gently fold in the flour mixture. Continue with the remaining half of the milk and flour mixture until well combined. With a rubber spatula, scrape off any mixture that is sticking to the side and bottom of the bowl.
- Add in apple filling and stir until just incorporated.
- Spoon batter even into the muffin cups until 85% full.
- Take the reserved apples and cut into tiny strip. Sprinkle on top of the muffins.
- Bake in the oven at 200°c for 10 minutes and then reduce to 180°c for another 8-10 minutes or until the muffins have risen and turned golden brown. Insert a toothpick into the center to test. If it comes out clean, it means that the muffins are cooked.
- After the baking time is over, leave the muffins inside with the oven door shut. Let the residue heat in the oven cook the muffins for a further 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack. Best to serve warm.
- You can use 100% cake four.
- Eggs, butter and milk must be a room temperature.
- To get a dome-effect muffin, you need to preheat oven at a higher temperature, and then fill the batter near to the brim of the muffin cup (80-85% full).
- The baking time and oven temperatures vary depending on the types of oven, size of muffins, or whether you are using a paper cup or muffin tray to bake. So use your own judgment to experiment. You will find more tips on “How to make muffins” in my early post.
- If the muffins turn golden brown too early, reduce the heat to 170°c after baking for 10 minutes. If the muffins show uneven colour, turn the baking tray 180 degree towards the last 5 minutes.
- Keep extra muffins in the freezer for future consumption. Thaw and place them inside a preheat oven/ toaster oven for 5 minutes (without heat). You can also steam the muffins.
- You can find paper muffin cups at any local baking supplies stores. I bought mine from Phoon Huat (Simei branch) and Sun Lik Trading (33 Seah Street, opposite Bras Basah Complex as well as Raffles Hotel. Same road with Toy Muzeum).