If you like this article, please share:
RECIPE FOR EGG IN A BASKET (EGG IN TOAST)
Adapted and modified: Annabel Karmel Family Cookbook (Spring edition)
1 thick slice of bread (white or wholemeal)
A generous knob of butter
1 egg (50g)
A little salt and pepper
Some cooking oil to heat up a pan
Love, care and patient (secret ingredients!!)
- Cut a hole in the centre of the bread using a heart-shaped cookie cutter about 7cm wide at its widest point. (note 1)
- Spread butter on both sides of the bread including the cut out portion.
- Heat up a little bit of oil in a small frying pan.
- Under medium low heat, sauté the bread (together with the cut out portion) on one side until golden brown.
- Turn the bread over, remove the cut out portion and melt some butter into the heart-shaped cut-out. Break the egg into it and season lightly. (note 2 and 3)
- Cook, covered, for about 2-3 minutes with low fire until the egg is cooked to your liking. (note 4 )
- Use a spatula to transfer the bread to a serving plate. Bon appetit!
- Besides cookie cutter, you can use a knife or glass to cut a hole.
- If you want a nice looking cooked egg, separate the egg white and yolk. Pour the egg white, then follow by yolk.
- Use a spoon to push the egg yolk to the center point if necessary.
- You can open the lid once or twice to check whether the egg is cooked to your liking.
- Use low heat to cook the egg so that it will set nicely and the bread will not be burnt before the egg is fully cooked.