If you like this article, please share:
RECIPE FOR ALMOND CRISPS
Source: Adapted and modified from Agnes Chan’s Baking Make Easy (蓝赛珍，轻轻松松学烘焙）
2 large egg white (about 64g each with shell)
50g plain flour
60g castor sugar (note 1)
30g butter (melted)
100g almond flakes
1/8 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
- Thaw egg white at room temperature.
- Sieve plain flour twice.
- Melt butter with double boil method. Put butter in a small bowl, transfer to a sauce pan filled with water. Heat the pan with medium flame until the butter melts. Stir occasionally. Set aside to cool down.
- Line baking tray with grease proof paper (I used GLAD BAKE non stick baking and cooking paper. Refer to photo above.)
- Preheat oven at 180°C.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg white with a hand whisk until you see white bubbles. Add in sugar and beat in circular movement until the sugar dissolves.
- Add in flour and mix till no traces of flour and lump-free.
- Use a spatula to fold in almond flakes until well-combined.
- Stir in melted butter and mix well.
- Spoon 1/3 or ½ tablespoon of mixture on the baking tray. Spread out into a round shape (about 2cm diameter) or any other shapes you like using a spoon (note 2).
- Bake at 170°C for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. If there is uneven colour among these crisps, rotate the baking tray towards the last 2 minutes (note 3).
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool and then store into an air-tight container.
- I had cut down the original amount of sugar from 90g to 60g.
- The layer must be very thin and even (no overlapping of seeds) so that it will be very crispy.
- You may have to bake these crisps in 3 rounds. The unbaked mixture can be left in the room temperature.
- If you want your almond flakes to be more flavourful, you can bake them in a preheat oven at 170°C for 10 minutes. Use a spatula to stir them once after 5 minutes.
- These crisps will become crispy and crunchy after they have cooled down completely.
- If these crisps have not turned golden brown after 10 minutes, then bake at 160°C for another 2 minutes. You can flip over the crisps when doing this step.
- If these crisps turn soft, you can reheat them for 2-3 minutes at 150°C in a preheated oven.