If you like this article, please share:
240g minced meat/ beef (If you are a non meat eater, substitute with fresh mushrooms)
60g fresh mushrooms – chopped (If you don’t have mushrooms, substitute with meat/ beef)
1 medium size onion – minced
2 cloves garlic – chopped
1 tin diced tomato (412g)
1 tsp dried basil leaves or mixed Italian dried herbs
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp sugar
2 pieces of bay leaves (optional)
200 ml stock – I used 7g Maggi chicken concentrated stock with 200ml water
Dash of ground black pepper
Pinch of salt
Cornstarch solution for thickening (mix 1 tsp corn flour with 1 tbsp water)
- Heat up a saucepan with oil.
- Sauté onion, garlic and dried basil until fragrant and onion become translucent.
- Add in minced meat/ beef and stir-fry until it is cooked.
- Add in chopped mushrooms and stir-fry until the mushrooms turn soft.
- Add in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato ketchup, stock and bay leaves and stir well. Bring to a boil and simmer under low heat for 30 minutes. The last 10 minutes, simmer with lid half cover.
- Stir occasionally to prevent it from catching the bottom of the pot.
- Add in sugar, black pepper and salt. Thicken with cornstarch solution.
- This sauce can be used for pasta and pizza. For any leftover, you can freeze it for later usage.
- If you want to speed up the preparation process, you can cook it in advance.