If you like this article, please share:
Source: Children’s healthy and fun cookbook by Ncola Graimes (DK Publication)
4 dessert apples
200g blueberries (fresh or frozen) – defrosted if frozen
4 tbsp fresh apple juice
1 tbsp light muscovado sugar (light brown soft sugar)
75g plain while flour
75g wholemeal flour
75g unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
75g light muscovado sugar
3 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 tbsp sesame seeds
3 tbsp rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Put the plain white flour and wholemeal flour into a large mixing bowl and stir together with a spoon.
- Add the butter. Rub the butter and flour together with your fingertips (or pastry cutter) until they look like coarse crumbs. Stir in the sugar, seeds and oats.
- Remove the skin from the apple and cut them into quarters. Then careful remove the core and slice the fruits into bite-sized pieces.
- Put the pieces of apple into an ovenproof dish (900ml/ 2 pint). Add the blueberries and pour over the apple juice. Sprinkle some sugar evenly over the top.
- Spoon over the topping in an even layer then put the dish in the oven. Cook for 35 minutes until the top is crisp and beginning to brown.
- It can be served warm or cold. Best to eat with ice-cream.
- You can make this oaty crumble using ramekins instead of ovenproof dish.
- Try different variety of seasonal fruit such as strawberries, nectarines, peaches, plums, blackberries or pears.