If you like this article, please share:
RECIPE FOR CHICKEN SATAY
Yield: 10 sticks
280g chicken fillet 鸡柳, about 8 strips (note 1)
Ingredients for marinade:
2 stalks of lemongrass (chopped) (note 2)
3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
4 shallots (chopped)
1 ½ tablespoons light soy sauce
2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons honey
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons oil (I used extra light olive oil)
10-12 bamboo skewers (I bought mine from Daiso)
- Soak satay skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. This is to prevent them from burning or charred during grilling.
- Wash and pat dry chicken fillet. Remove the white tendon and cut into bite size about 2cm cube.
- Pound lemongrass, garlic and shallots with a pestle and mortar or with a food processor until fine. Transfer to a small bowl and combine with light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, turmeric powder, brown sugar, honey, pepper and oil.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade to mix until well coated. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers. Discard any excess marinade.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Lightly brush it, as well as the chicken satay with oil. Cook the chicken satay for about 3 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your chicken. Or, you can broil them in an oven using the grill function.
- Serve with cucumber, onion and peanut satay sauce.
- You can also use skinless and boneless chicken breast or thigh.
- For lemongrass, discard the outer layer, cut off the upper green stalk and use only the tender inner white bulb.
- If you don’t have a grill, you can cook them on a frying pan until lightly brown and finish off by baking in the oven.