Korean Vegetable Pancakes

pancake, pajeon, pajun, Korean pancake, vegetable pancake, savoury pancakes, toddler, food 4 tots

I have always wanted to learn how to cook Korean food, and these Korean vegetable pancakes are my very first experience in doing so. These savoury pancakes look a little like omelette but the texture is slightly crispy outside and chewy inside. They are usually served with a dipping sauce.

These pancakes are quick and easy to make. All it takes is to prepare some vegetables of your choice, coat them with a basic batter and then pan-fry the mixture with a bit of oil till golden brown.

This recipe has no hard and fast rule to follow, and you can easily improvise with any leftover vegetables in your pantry and fridge. So, feel free to experiment with any variety of vegetables, or incorporate meat, seafood or poultry if you prefer a non-vegetarian version.

The basic batter that I have created is made up of flour, potato, egg, salt, oil, pepper and water. Potato is not a must have ingredient but it does add extra touch to the overall texture and flavour of the finished pancakes. There is no need to pre-cook the potato. Just puree the potato and retain the starch which acts as a useful binder for the batter. You can puree the potato with grater, food processor or blender, but I still find Asian style grater the best. Potato oxidizes easily. So, leave the pureeing task last.

This is one dish that will let you sneak in load of veggies into your kids’ diet. I’m pretty sure that your picky eater won’t mind to pick them up, and one is definitely not enough.

Get the recipe and step by step tutorial for Korean Vegetable Pancakes at PAGE 2 BELOW.

I made some kind of vegetable egg fritter-omelette recently and now I am thinking…if I had added in the flour, maybe it would have become Korean veggie pancakes. And probably the flour would have made it crisp too! :)

2. Mummy Love Jayna says:

Hmm this must be yummy! Will sure give a try

3. I am sure even adult loves this too..yummy

4. This is my kind of pancake…they are very tasty.

5. Amy says:

I wonder if you can substitute with potato starch instead of doing all that work with shredding and filtering the potato.

Amy: This recipe needs potato puree as well as its leftover starch to add flavour and texture to these pancakes. Thus, it is better to do it from scratch. :)

6. StacyLV says:

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I have made it twice now, one batch the first time, basically following the recipe. I had to substitute Delicata Squash for the Pumpkin and Celery for the Zucchini. I’m crazy for celery, so I had to get it in some way and I didn’t have any pumpkin. Both my DH and I really liked it and it reminded us of living in Korea and some of our great experiences.The second time I made it (it was the same day) I tripled the recipe. We both wanted some for an after dinner snack and for lunch the next day. I took a leeway with the recipe and used two very large leeks, 5 cloves of garlic, and red bell peppers, Delicata, zucchini, and celery. I also added sesame oil to the batter for the oil, a little soy sauce for a little of the water, reduced the salt, added some red pepper flakes for some heat, and let the potato water sit for about 10 minutes to get more starch out of it. The veggies were more than half leeks, I was thinking of scallion pancakes! I cooked up one small one and DH declared them ‘Great!’. So I cooked medium-large pancakes, about 3 per recipe, that way I could turn them with a spatula, and not have to try to turn over my cast iron skillet! It’s just too heavy! I still had one pancake left over from the first batch so I tried them side-by-side and it was a toss up. I preferred the first batch-plainer with my homemade sauce recipe from way back, but I preferred the second batch-seasoned with your sauce recipe or plain. So I guess we both have winners here. Now I want to try to crisp it up a little more! I may add a little potato starch from a bag to see if that helps. I also want to try some with my homemade Kimchi. And with my homemade Carrot-Diakon pickles, adding celery and leeks, of course, lol! Thanks again.

StacyLV: Thank you so much for your detailed feedback!!! You’re so creative!! I just made them today with prawn, Chinese sausage, scallion, zucchini and fresh chilly. It was delicious too. :)

7. Lorena says:

Hey!
    What do you think of adding blue or cream cheese?

Packthefork.wordpress.com