Wholemeal Milk Buns

Wholemeal Buns, Milk Buns, Kopitiam Milk Buns, Sponge Dough, Bread Making, Buns, Toddler, Kids, Healthy

These mini buns are made from a basic sweet dough recipe originated from Vinnie Baking Paradise. This recipe has been very popular among the local food bloggers. It uses sponge dough method which has many similarities with the 17-hour sponge dough method I shared previously.

Sponge dough method has always been my preferred method in bread making as compared to direct method for two simple reasons (if you want to know more about sponge dough method, please refer to my pesto bread post). First, the bread making process for sponge dough method can be done in two separate sessions sometimes overnight. It’s unlike direct method which must be completed within the same day. Secondly, it yields more refined bread with softer texture and better taste.

I have been baking these mini buns with a few variations for the past two weeks. Regardless of which variations, the end results are very satisfactory. The buns still remain soft the next day. My family loves them very much as they are soft and have wonderful buttery taste. The aroma of these buns fills up my entire kitchen when they are freshly out from the oven.

These buns can be eaten either plain or with jam. They can also be turned into sandwiches with filling inside. My favourite way to enjoy is dipping it into my morning coffee. If I cannot finish them all at once, I will freeze them for later consumption.

As the level of difficulty is low, I would recommend it to all beginners in bread making to give it try. Once you have mastered this recipe, you can easily come out with a zillion of creations. This recipe is definitely a keeper. I can’t wait to experiment with other flavours and shapes in my future attempts and shall the outcome with you.

Get the recipe and step by step tutorial for Wholemale Milk Buns at PAGE 2 BELOW.

1. wokandspoon says:

These buns look amazing and so uniform! They look perfect!

2. Jaclyn says:

Hi, how do I measure out 2gm of yeast? The amount is too small for my digital scale to pick up.

Jaclyn: 1gm is about 1/4 teaspoon and 2gm is about 1/2 teaspoon. What is the smallest reading for your digital scale? You can add a bowl to increase the weight and then add in the yeast. :)

They look so perfect! Great to have homemade wholemeal buns :)

4. Adeline says:

Hi, read your blog and notice you are using rowenta oven. May I know do you use the bread proofing menu to proof your bread? Also you using tradition mode at 170 temperature? I been trying to bake bread but no one to ask about the temperature control and my bread turn out to be hard the next morning. Hope you can provide me some tips.

Adeline: I had used Rowenta Gourmet 38L oven before but it didn’t have the bread proofing menu. For this recipe, I proofed my bread with my new Delonghi oven. I just placed the bread inside the oven without having to switch the power on. The problem you faced may be due to several reasons. Please give this recipe a try and see how it turns out. :)

5. Looks so perfect and awesome.. wonderfully prepared.. great job :D

6. lily says:

The buns look so appetising! Wondering if it will work if I put in some fillings like kaya or red bean?

7. Joanna says:

hi can i use this recipe on breadmaker?

8. Cafe says:

wholemeal milk buns look awesome :) Really mouthring.. thank you so much for sweet sweet compliment:)

9. JJmum says:

Hi, am I right to assume wholemeal bread flour is the same as wholemeal flour? I have package of Prima Wholemeal flour and would like to try this recipe.
    JJmum

JJmum: There are 2 types of wholemeal flour. I used the fine type. Prima Wholemeal is the coarse one, similar to wholewheat flour. You can use either one. :)

10. uyia says:

Hi,
    I tried to prepare the overnight dough yesterday but after 16 hours, the dough is still about the same size. Is this correct? Or does that mean that my overnight dough is a failure?

11. petitpoix says:

I would like to try this recipe but before I start, could you please clarify whether the yeast in both the starter and main dough needs to be activated with warm water & sugar before combining with the rest of the ingredients?

Thanks!

12. petitpoix says:

I finally tried making these! overall a successful first attempt for a novice baker =)

The dough in the fridge did not really expand that much (i used instand dry yeast). And it took me quite long on the kitchenaid to achieve the membrane stage.

Turned out pretty good but rather dense and small as the dough did not rise alot. The texture was a nice crust on the outside and soft on the inside. But not as spongey or airy as i thought it would be. Any idea how to introduce more air into it?