If you like this article, please share:
RECIPE FOR CAULIFLOWER TOTS
Source: Adapted and modified from Skinny Taste
Make: About 28 cauliflower tots
200 grams cauliflower
35 grams onion, chopped finely
6 grams fresh coriander/ cilantro (leaves only),chopped finely
33 grams cheddar cheese, grated
30 grams breadcrumbs (note 1)
30-35 grams mayonnaise
½ – 1 egg white (note 2)
2 teaspoons corn flour
⅓ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare the cauliflower – wash and cut off the stems. Cut the cauliflower into small florets. Steam a little for about 4-5 minutes (note 3) or until tender but not mushy. Drain well and pat dry on paper towel. Using a knife, chop the cauliflower finely and set aside 200g.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cauliflower, onion, coriander leaves, cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs. Then, stir in mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Followed by egg white (use accordingly and refer note 2) and lastly corn flour. With clean hand, mix up all the ingredients until well combined. Give the mixture a taste test. Before adding extra salt and pepper, do take into account the saltiness of the cheese.
- At this point, the mixture is a little soft to form small ovals but it is fine.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and transfer it to the fridge to chill for an hour or until it firms up slightly.
- After an hour, remove bowl from the fridge. Lightly oil both your palms. Scoop 1 tablespoon mixture and form into small ovals. Place on a baking tray lined with aluminium foil. Freeze for 1-2 hours until solid (note 4)
- Preheat oven at 200°C for 15 minutes. Prepare a baking tray lined with non-stick parchment paper (note 5). Brush the paper with oil.
- Five minutes before the preheating ends, remove the cauliflower tots from the freezer. Do not need to thaw.
- Brush a little oil on the frozen tots and place on the baking tray.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until the cauliflower tots are firmed enough to flip over.
- Gently flip the cauliflower tots over and bake for another 12 minutes or until golden. Turn the baking tray halfway to ensure even colour.
- I use homemade wholemeal breadcrumbs. You can use any brand that you like.
- You don’t need to use all the egg white. I only used about ½ large egg white for binding.
- The time required for steaming should only be served as a guide. If you steam without any preheating, the time is about 10-12 minutes.
- These cauliflower can be frozen and cooked on a later date. Just pop the frozen tots into a zip lock bag or any Cook them direct from freezer. No need to thaw.
- To avoid that the cauliflower from sticking on your baking tray, use good quality parchment paper or greased proof paper. I used GLAD BAKE non stick baking and cooking paper.