Taro Pumpkin Buns

300g taro
60g pumpkin
25g unsalted butter
50g castor/ icing sugar
15g milk powder

Methods:

1. Peel taro and pumpkin, then cut into cubes. Place on a steaming tray and steam until soft enough to be pierced with fork (about 30-40 minutes).
  2. While it’s still hot, use fork to mash.
  3. Add in butter, sugar and milk powder one after another and mix well (note 2).
  4. Leave to cool and store in fridge until needed.
  5. One day before making the buns, shape the paste into 30g ball each.

Notes:

1. Do not use baby taros. Get Lei Po taros or Thai taros because they are starchy. Those Chinese taros available during mid-autumn festival are also good.
  2. Do not add all the butter, sugar and milk powder. Leave some behind for final adjustment if needed.
  3. Best to make the paste one day in advance.
  4. Get the recipe for taro pumpkin buns at PAGE 2 BELOW.

taro pumpkin buns, taro buns, pumpkin buns, homemade bread, Food For Toddlers

1. Alice says:

Wow! What a healthy and good looking bun! It is worth the time! Welcome back my friend! πŸ™‚

2. Welcome back! Love the pretty buns you have there.

3. Lynn says:

Just want to say “thank you” for answering our questions. I know how it is like to move house across countries and trying to settle down… The buns look great! Have not tried baking any bread… Will try it some time.. Keep it up!

4. noobcook says:

wow, you shifted back. Hope you enjoy your new house and have time to bake some CNY goodies. I like the fact that the buns dough can keep for so long in the fridge.

5. Janine says:

wow looks like you had a lot on your plate the past few months – with a major move! hopefully you settle in quickly and we get to see yummy bakes from you soon! πŸ™‚

6. Priya says:

beauties, very catchy buns definitely.

I can understand how hectic it has been for you and your family. We have done four major moves in the past 5-6 yrs and gosh it was tough!

Good to see you back to blogging(sharing your cooking and baking). The buns look so well-glazed on the outside and I bet they taste delicious too.

8. mycookinghut says:

Welcome back LK! Hope to see more recipes soon!

9. ChristineT says:

Glad to read another of your interesting post. I have always enjoyed looking through and trying out your recipes. I hope you will fully settle down soon. Looking forward to more future posts.

10. Looks great LK! Thanks for the idea πŸ™‚ Hope you’ve been well πŸ™‚

11. sharon says:

Just awesome! My son and I were browsing your website to plan our snacks and breakfast when we saw this and he wants to bake this! Loved this, just not just if we can pull it off!

12. lise Thorsen says:

Hi, Love your site. I Don’t have any Tots in the house any more ,just hungry teenagers that love Asian inspired fun foods. I will be using your recipes. Thanks

13. Clarice says:

Hi, may i know how long do we need to mix/knead for the pre-ferment dough? Can i use bread machine kneading function to mix it? Tks

14. Clarice says:

Thanks. Can i ask what is the different between ’17 hr low temperature pre ferment dough’ and ‘sponge dough’ (does not keep the dough in the fridge) ? I tried sponge dough method (just let the sponge dough fermented for abt 2 hrs, then continue to mix it with “Bread dough”, and the bread came out was dry n hard (sigh. Any tips or advice ?

Clarice: My wholemeal milk buns recipe is also using sponge dough method. You can do it the same day or leave the starter dough in the fridge for 2-3 days. The problem you face can be due to many reasons such as under/over kneading, overbaking etc. Most of the breads, if knead and bake correctly, should be soft once they are freshly out from the oven. I suggest that you give my wholemeal milk buns recipe a try. πŸ™‚

• Clarice says:

HI, I tried to make sponge dough again last nite, the dough is very sticky after knead for 20 min. I left it to ferment for abt 2 hrs, when i took the dough out, it is still very sticky. The bread came out is soft n but texture is quite rough n not fluffy :(. I duno what went wrong, is the sponge dough suppose to be sticky or its elastic and drop from hand when taken up ? tks

Clarice: May I know which recipe did you use? Why do you need to knead the starter dough for 20 minutes? How did you knead it, by hand or machine?

• Clarice says:

hi, i use bread machine to knead, it only has function of knead either 5min or 20 min. If i knead by hand, i should knead for how long? At this stage it does not require to pass window panel test, rite? I use bread machine to bake bread, and the texture is quite dense and thick. Thus i would like to learn sponge n dough method. Thanks

Clarice: May I know which did you follow? For starter dough, you just need to knead until everything is well combined (without having to pass the membrane test). Please watch this video until 1:13. It will give you some ideas on how to knead to starter dough. πŸ™‚