Apple Buns (tangzhong/ water roux method)

Apple Buns, Tangzhong, Water Roux, Bread Starter, Apple Filing, Bun, Bread, Toddler, Kid, Children, Food 4 Tots, Recipe For Toddlers

Source: Adapted from Natural Breads Made Easy

2 apples (medium sized) – about 270g
75g butter
70g castor sugar
1½ tbsp lemon juice
1½ tbsp cornflour (diluted in 1 tbsp water)
Dash of ground cinnamon

1. Peel, core and cut apples into chunks. Toss in lemon juice.
  2. In a stainless steel pan, melt the butter.
  3. Add sugar and let the sugar caramelize. Then put in the apples.
  4. Stir-fry until the juice reduces by half.
  5. Add ground cinnamon and the diluted cornflour.
  6. Cook until the mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.

1. You can make it in advance.

1. The apple rings are so pretty! Been meaning to try the tangzhong method for a long time.

2. Amy Tong says:

These are gorgeous! I gotta try this real soon. I’m always thinking of new TangZhong bread/fillings and I love your idea. My kids adore apples and I think they’ll love this.

3. WOW pretty buns!!! Love your styling and apple rings are really cute on top! And congratulations on the feature. It’s a beautiful feature!

4. OH, I just love these. They are darling. Those apple rings look like delicate little skirts. Bookmarking! Have a wonderful vacation getaway and I can’t wait to hear/see where your family went.

5. Joanne says:

I love the flavor of cooked apples…so sweet and sultry. These look delicious!

6. wokandspoon says:

These look complex to make but the end results are lovely!

7. I loved how it turned on the cupcake, looks beautiful! What a great idea!

8. mycookinghut says:

Irresistible apple buns! Congrats on the feature, you deserved it! 😉

9. noobcook says:

they are really gorgeous and beautiful! love the thin apple slice topping which curl after baking, looking like a flower.

10. MaryMoh says:

I always love homemade bread. Your buns look really cute. The apple on top looks like a flower 😀

11. They are so adorable. Love the apple ring garnish..

12. Grace says:

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I just tried making it. It’s delicious :D. As always, your step by step instructions and photos are very helpful for amateur bakers like me hehe. Thank you!!

13. EL says:

Nice buns and would love to try. May I know what is the replacement for milk powder?

14. PC says:

Hi, may I ask, for step#6, do I need to set the oven to any temperature when heat it off for 40min?

Thanks for yr help…