If you like this article, please share:
RECIPE FOR QUICK AND EASY FISH SOUP
Serve: 3 – 4
800ml homemade fish stock (note 1)
130g fish fillet (I used threadfin 马友鱼)
150g silken tofu – cut into small cubes (note 2)
2 tomatoes (medium) – cut into wedges
2 tsp dried wakame (Japanese seaweed)
Ginger slice (peeled, cut 3-4 thin slices and finely shredded)
Spring onions (scallion) or coriander leaves for garnishing
Salt and pepper to taste
Marinade (for fish fillets):
1½ tsp light soy sauce
¼ tsp sesame oil
A few shredded gingers
Spring onions (optional) – note 3
- Wash and pat dry fish fillet. Prepare a steaming plate, place fish fillet with spring onions underlying it. Marinate with light soy sauce and sesame oil. Top with some shredded gingers. Refer to photo at the right side. Steam for 8-10 minutes until the fish is cooked through (flaked easily). Set aside to cool. Flake fish finely or into small chunks. (notes 4 and 5).
- Bring stock to a boil. Add in tofu, ginger and tomatoes. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Bring stock to a boil again and turn off the heat.
- Add in fish from step (1) and dried wakame. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions or coriander leaves and serve.
- You can make your own fish stock by following the steps in this post.
- Refer to this post on how to remove tofu from the packaging.
- The spring onion will prevent the fish fillet from sticking to the plate during steaming. It will also add flavour to the steamed sauce.
- Retain the steamed sauce and add it to your fish stock for extra flavour in step (2).
- Instead of steaming, slice the fish thinly and marinate with seasoning. In step (3), when the stock is boiling, add in fish and cook until the flesh turns white. Do not overcook it. This method is suitable for fish fillet without bones attached.
- You may include other ingredients such as homemade fish balls, prawns, fresh mushrooms (shitake, shimeji and enoki), Chinese seaweeds, egg, corns (baby corns or corn on the cob), lettuce and cabbage.