If you like this article, please share:
RECIPE FOR SWEET POTATO CRISPS
Source: Adapted and modified Annabel Karmel “Top 100 Finger Foods”
1 small sweet potato, peeled (about 120g)
2 tsp olive oil
a pinch of salt (optional)
- Preheat oven at 150°C. Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper/ parchment.
- Use a swivel peeler (or mandoline slicer) to cut the sweet potatoes into strips or any preferred sizes. The strips must be thin and uniform in thickness so that they can turn brown and crisp within the same cooking time. You may also need to trim those pointy or ultra-thin edges if necessary.
- Wash and rinse them several times until the water is not cloudy. Then soak them in water for 15 minutes. This helps to get rid of the starch and make them crisp. Drain and pat them dry with kitchen papers. Make sure they are completely DRY so the oil can coat them easily.
- Put the strips in a bowl and toss with oil and salt (if used).
- Spread the strips out in a single layer (without overlapping) on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then rotate the baking sheet and continue to bake for a further 8-10 minutes and check every minute as the strips can go brown very quickly. Remove from the oven if the strips start to curl and brown at the edges. Once the strips are completely cool down, they will be even crispier.
- Best to serve them immediately. Though you can store them in an airtight container, they will soften a bit after a while.
- The baking temperature and time should only be used as a guide. They will vary depending on the type of oven you use, and thickness and shapes of the crisps.
- You can double the amount and bake them by using two baking sheets at the same time. But, you may need to adjust the baking time if necessary and swap the baking sheets around after 15 minutes. For best result, I would suggest you to bake only one sheet at a time.