RECIPE FOR FROZEN TOFU SALAD WITH CREAMY SESAME DRESSING
Source: Own concoction
Ingredients for salad:
2 blocks frozen silken tofu – about 300g each (cubed) – note 1
1 Japanese cucumber (rinsed, deseeded, diced)
½ box cherry tomatoes (halved) – note 2
½ small corn on the cob (fresh) – note 3
Handful of toasted white sesame seeds – note 4
Ingredients for salad dressing:
4 tbsp white sesame seed (toasted and ground) – note 4
5 tbsp mayoinnaise
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp mirin (Japanese sweet wine) – refer to THIS LINK for photo
1 tsp rice wine vinegar/ rice vinegar (白米醋）
2 tbsp + 1 tsp honey (I used no water added honey)
½ tsp finely grated ginger (or slightly less)
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (or any salad oil)
Pinch of salt
Dash of freshly ground white pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for salad dressing until smooth. Then cover the bowl with clip wrap and transfer to the fridge to chill until required.
- Prepare all the ingredients for salad.
- Assemble the salad with all the ingredients (except sesame seeds). Drizzle dressing over salad. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top. Alternatively, put all the ingredients in a salad bowl and toss with the dressing.
- Frozen tofu – prepare frozen tofu based on the steps mentioned in PAGE 3. Once the frozen tofu is thawed, gently squeeze out any excess water using either your palms or something flat. Cut the tofu into small cubes about ½ inch thickness. Line a baking sheet with 2-3 kitchen towels. Spread the tofu cubes on top and cover with another kitchen towel to absorb the moisture. After 5 minutes, discard the kitchen towels. Heat up cooking pan with oil. Pan-fry the cubed tofu under medium heat. Flip once or twice until all the sides turn lightly golden brown. Set aside.
- Cherry tomatoes – You can substitute with 2 normal tomatoes (deseeded and cut into cubes).
- Corn on the cob – remove the outer leaves and thin hairs (silk), wash and rinse. Then, carefully run a knife from the side of the cob to cut out the corns. Steam or blanch it over boiling water until it’s cooked. Then drain, leave to cool and cut out the corns. Alternatively, you can cut out the corns first and then cook.
- Toasted sesame seeds – dry fry seeds in a frying pan over a medium low heat until they are fragrant and turn golden brown. Once it’s done, remove from the pan and let it cool down. Reserve a small portion for tossing. Put 4 tbsp of sesame seeds into a food blender to grind until powdery. It’s better to prepare more than the required amount and store any extra seeds in an air-tight container for later consumption.
- To turn this salad into a main course, simply add some cooked pasta and poached chicken breast (steps refer to this post). Other suggested ingredients include cooked prawn, toasted seeds (sunflower or pumpkin seeds), nuts (almonds, pine nuts), salad greens (iceberg, lettuce, rocket, spinach etc) and cooked eggs.
If you like this article, please share: