Steamed pumpkin muffins

steamed pumpkin muffins, pumpkin muffins, toddler, food for kids, snack, steamed cake, steamed bread, Japanese, mushipan

My family had a wonderful time during our recent holidays. We went to Kuala Lumpur first, then to Cameron Highlands and lastly ended in Penang. The only regret was that our duration in Penang was too short to cover our usual to-eat (no, must-eat) list. Just thinking of this food heaven, my stomach has already started rumblimg….oh my! I will share with you some photos I had taken during our Cameron Highlands trip in my next post.

Have you heard, seen or eaten Japanese steamed cake/ bread (mushi pan) before? I was very intrigued with this mushi pan when I first saw it sold at a specialty store in a shopping mall. Since then, I had been searching for the recipe. Lately, I had bought some mushi pan cookbooks and had tried out some of the recipes. However, some failed while some were far from perfection. Undaunted, I will continue my experiment and hopefully I can share my success story with you soon. So, wish me luck!

Meanwhile, here is my favourite steamed pumpkin muffin recipe that is especially dedicated for people who love baking but have neither oven nor electrical mixer, or both. The recipe is fairly simple and quick to make even if you are a novice in baking. It applies the same muffin/mixing method used to make baked muffins. You just need a hand whisk and a mixing bowl. Yes, it’s as simple as that. The wet ingredients are combined with the dry ingredients to form a batter. Then the batter is spooned into the moulds and steamed instead of baking. It’s so hassle-free and requires less washing too!

Even though the muffins are steamed, they produce soft and fluffy cake-like texture unlike the tradition Chinese prosperity cakes (“fatt gou/ huat kueh” 发糕) that are dense and chewy. Its gorgeous “open mouth” effect (which according to the Chinese’s belief symbolizes good luck) is what I adore most about these muffins.

Besides that, they taste yummy too!!! Each bite is packed with subtle smell and taste of coconut milk that blends well with the pumpkin flavour. As Australian pumpkin comes with  natural sweetness, I use lesser sugar than what is required in the original recipe. So the sweetness could be just perfect for those who don’t have a sweet tooth. By mashing the pumpkins and mixing it well with the batter, I am sure your picky eater won’t notice its existence when consuming it.

These muffins are not only enjoyed a lot by our family but my friend’s family as well. After sampling my muffins, she (a working mom with 2 kids) quickly requested for the recipe and made them on the same weekend – 2 days in a row!

These muffins can be frozen in the fridge for later consumption. On the day you want to eat them,  just take them out from the freezer to thaw lightly and steam again under high heat for 10-12 minutes.  It’s best to serve them warm. You can also add a dollop of jam to go with it.

=> Get the recipe and step-by-step tutorial with photos at PAGE 2 BELOW.

Follow Food For Tots on :
Email Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Facebook Follow Me on Pinterest

1. Siew says:

Hi,may I know if using electrical steamer how long should I set? Besides, can I use brown sugar instead of castor sugar; superfine flour instead of cake flour? Because this are what I have:-P And I don’t have any baking powder, what baking powder is commonly used so I will go and buy one. TIA! Thx for sharing yr recipe, as I only have steamer don’t hv any oven. Pls share more steaming recipe!:-)

Siew: Follow the time given in my recipe. Yes, you can use brown sugar but it may give you a different taste and colour for the muffins. It should be fine to use superfine flour. Baking powder is a raising agent that is commonly used in baking. Please get one that states “double acting baking powder”. I’m glad you like steaming recipes. Will definitely share more in future. ;)

2. Purple Panther says:

Hi, can we replace pumpkin with sweet potato? Do we need to remove the fiber from the sweet potato?

What other alternate ingredients if we do not want to use Pumpkin – (allergies)

Thanks.

Purple Panther: Yes, you can but it may have a different taste and texture. This is because sweet potato has less moisture and sweetness than pumpkin. It would be better to remove the skin. I think sweet potato is a good substitution for pumpkin. ;)

3. spidyqueen says:

hello, can i use a rice cooker instead? Also, i can use a electrical hand blender right? Sorry for the basic questions. am relatively new at this.
    Thanks!

Spidyqueen: I’m sorry that I haven’t tried it with a rice cooker before. There is no need to use electrical hand blender. Hand whisk is good enough. Happy trying! ;)

4. May says:

Hi, can I use canned pumpkin purée? And if so, should I stick to the same amount as stated in the recipe? I love your blog, thanks so much for sharing. I live in Germany and it’s wonderful to be able to prepare yummy asian food for my family.

May: Yes, if that’s what you have. Just substitute with the same amount. If the sweetness for pumpkin purée is same as the normal pumpkin, then there is no need to adjust the sugar. Glad that you like my recipes! Happy trying! ;)

5. Siew says:

Hi I had just bought the kara UHT coconut cream, just wonder if can’t finish using it, how long can I keep in the refrigerator? Besides, I couldn’t get the double acting baking powder yet. I found the baking powder only so didn’t buy yet. May I know what brand? The one I found were royal baking powder and”arm and hammer”brand pure baking powder. They are not stated double acting so better clarify first. TIA!

Siew: For coconut cream, you can keep it for 3-4 days in the fridge or 2 weeks in the freezer. But, it is better to check the taste before using it. I was told that Royal baking powder is single acting. Not sure about Arm and Hammer brand. Alternatively, you can get it from any local baking supply shop. ;)

6. Celine Lim says:

Hi! I so can’t wait to try steamed muffins, they look so unbelievably soft and fluffy compares to BAKED muffins..
    Question though, can I substitute Coconut Milk 100g to Coconut Oil for the same g amount?
    Thank you so much!! <3

7. Siew says:

Hi thx for the recipe! For the first time I got my cake steamed so well! I got a question here, after eating the cake the tongue feels rough is it something deal with the baking powder? Actually the cake taste very good as I follow all yr ingredient just the feeling of the mouth after eating is weird, hope u can help. TIA!

Siew: Thanks for sharing your feedback! Did you follow my recipe closely? I don’t think the baking powder will give you the weird feeling of the mouth. You must make sure it’s measured at 1½ TEASPOON (not tablespoon). You also need to ensure the flour and BP are mixed thoroughly and sieved. :)

8. Siew says:

Oic! I think my mistake was not mix them:-P I sieved them one by one. Ok will try again. Thank you very much!

9. Ching says:

Hi! I’ve been a silent reader of your blog for awhile and I’m grateful for your sharing of recipes. They are a good source of inspiration when I ran out of ideas :)
    I haven’t tried steaming cakes before. I’m wondering if my steamer is not big enough to accommodate all the muffins, can I steam them in batches?
    Thanks!

10. chris says:

Hi, can I replace the coconut milk with soy milk? And I only have all purpose plain flour. Pls advice! Tia!

11. Anita says:

Hi there,
    You have such a lovery and informative website!
    I already bookmarked your website!
    I just sent you a email via the contact form regarding your pumpkin huat kueh’s pudding mould. I hope you have receive it and have time to reply to me.
    Many thanks :)

12. Jayna says:

This is my baby’s favorite. I replaced coconut milk with uht fresh milk , salad oil to coconut oil and it turns out yummy too
    . I am sure coconut milk will taste awesome.

13. Jesslyn says:

Hi, good day. Got to know your blog from a friend of mine. What a lovely blog :)
    My question for this recipe:-
    Any replacement for egg? because my baby is allergic to egg. Can I use yogurt i/o coconut milk?
    Thanks

14. Jesslyn says:

thank you so much for the useful info. Btw, may I know what is the different between thick UHT coconut milk and fresh coconut milk? Can I use the fresh coconut milk?

Jesslyn: I had bought thick UHT coconut milk once but it tasted awful. The coconut cream I used for this recipe is surprisingly very fragrant. Yes, you can use fresh coconut milk. :)

15. Carol says:

Taste for fresh coconut milk is much better.

it is convenient to use UHT coconut milk but some brand have funny taste and it may have preservatives added.

16. evlyn says:

Thanks for the recipe I love ur blog too..just wanna knw how many tsp do I need if I use single raising baking powder?

Evlyn: Thank you for loving my blog. I’m not sure how to substitute double acting baking powder with single acting baking powder. If possible, get double acting baking powder before trying this recipe. :)