How to make superfast congee

recipe for toddlers, food for toddlers, food for tots, picky eaters, children, baby food,congee, porridge, rice porridge, juk, zhou, jook, rice,

RECIPE FOR HOW TO MAKE SUPERFAST CONGEE

Source: Own concoction

Serve: 1-2 persons

Ingredients:
60g short grain uncooked rice
100ml water (for soaking and later use for cooking)
700ml hot stock/ water (note 1)
Chopped spring onions for garnishing

Seasonings:
1 tsp cooking oil
Dash of sesame oil
Salt and white pepper

Suggested servings:
Chicken balls (please refer to PAGE 3 for recipe) and shredded mushrooms

Methods:

1. Wash and rinse the rice for several times until the water turns clear. Soak the rice with 100ml water for at least one hour.
  2. Put the rice, 1 tsp cooking oil together with the water used for soaking into a blender and blend into fine grain.
  3. Add 400ml stock/ water into a large cooking pot, cover with lid and bring it to a boil over high heat. Once it starts to boil, remove the lid and reduce the heat to medium low. Add in the blended rice (with water) in 2-3 batches. Give it a stir for each batch.  Continue to cook uncovered till the end. With a soup ladle, stir the rice mixture gently but NON-STOP (note 2). The first 5 minutes of stirring is VERY CRITICAL as it will prevent the rice from forming into lumps (note 3) or sticking to the bottom of the pot.
  4. After 5 minutes, add another 50 ml stock/ water. You can slow down your stirring but do not stop for more than 15 seconds. Adjust the heat to maintain the minimum boiling level with the appearance of small bubbles.
  5. For the remaining stock/ water, add 30-40ml each time at 5 minutes interval until it is used up. Pour the stock/ water bit by bit (divide it into 3 times) for each addition. Give it a stir once or twice. Maintain the same boiling level as mentioned in step 4.
  6. At the end of 30 minutes, your congee will have a very smooth texture. You can extend the cooking time by another 15 – 20 minutes to achieve a more diluted and smoother congee. Add more hot stock/ water (about 50 ml) if needed.
  7. Add shredded fresh shitake mushrooms and marinated chicken balls. Simmer until the chicken balls are properly cooked.
  8. Taste and season with salt, pepper and sesame oil, as needed. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped spring onions. Serve hot.

Note:

1. You can use any homemade stocks of your preference such as chicken, pork, fish or anchovy. If you want a short cut, you can mix 1 tbsp of Maggi Chicken concentrated stock with 700ml hot water.
  2. Stir the rice mixture in either clockwise, anti-clockwise or an “8” motion. You can follow any sequence you like as long as you incorporate these 3 actions.
  3. The congee will thicken during the cooling process. If it is too thick, add some hot water to get the desired consistency.
  4. Other methods to make your congee texture silky and smooth:
    – Extend your cooking time
    – Add some glutinous rice at the beginning
    – Add an egg at the end
    – Add some shallot/ garlic oil before serving

1. This is definitely helpful! We love congee and now I can prepare that in just 30 minute, that is a must try! 🙂

2. Evelyn Ng says:

I love cantones congee but my son don’t anymore. I have been giving him baby porridge since young and yet now, when I ask him whether he prefer rice or porridge. He will choose rice.

3. This is similar to what I did when I cooked for my son when he was 6-12 months old. Instead of soaking and blend, I pre-washed the mixed eco brown and normal rice, dried them under the sun, then dry-blend to small particles, store them. When I need to cook porridge, I just heat-up the chicken stock I have prepared and scoop in the fine grain rice, boil until they are smooth. Super fast too 🙂

I enjoy a variety of congee – Cantonese, Hokkien, Teochew…

Your congee looks like the perfect Cantonese congee 🙂

5. peachkins says:

my daughter and I loves congee!

6. Alice says:

Fantastic! It gives me a smooth + fast porridge! 😀

7. My hubby is a big fan of Cantonese-style porridge, nearly have once or twice a week. These quick tips are fantastic and helpful.

8. Joanne says:

I’ve never had congee but given my utter love of oatmeal, I’m sure I would like this savory version! Thanks for sharing.

9. Jun says:

Very really helpful! Thanks for sharing, now i can have congee for breakfast without having to wake up early in the morning

10. Ching @ LCOM says:

Nice! I am making one right now for my sick daughter.

11. mycookinghut says:

Yum.. I am a big big fan of congee! This super fast congee is great… and I think at this time of the year, with the early chill in the UK, I would appreciate it so much! Thanks!!

12. Little Inbox says:

Hmm…this is my type of porridge. 🙂

13. noobcook says:

wah your jook is so smooth, love it this way. super fast and super good 😉

14. We love Cantonese style congee the most too and yes, soaking to me makes a big difference..thanks for all the tips 🙂

15. Amy Ong says:

Wish that I see this earlier … I cook Chicken Congee today 🙂 Thanks for sharing the tips …

16. fast, convenient, healthy and yummy!!!

17. this is a fantastic idea. i love making porridge on weeknights, when there is too little time to prepare a full meal.

18. Wendy says:

I bought a Hamilton Beach food processer and put water and soaked rice in it. It was half fulled. Some liquid came out between the bowl & the lid. I checked to make sure everything was tightly closed and started it again. Same thing. They are not a tight fit. Is it common? I want to return it back to the store. How do you think?

Wendy: Yes, I think you should check with the store. If it is under warranty period, you may request for a replacement. But before you go, please refer to your manual to see whether the attachment is fixed correctly. Hope this helps. 😉

19. Wendy says:

Thank you. This is my first use of a food processor. I just bought it. Read some review today and found that this is a cheaply made machine. The lid do not seal well. I bought it for its low price and also for the fact that you can reverse the lid to save storage room. I definitely will rturn it to the store.

20. Wendy says:

Thank you. I open and close the lid several times to make sure that the lid is position correctly. Liquid spills out around the perimeter of the lid when the food processing is chopping up the soaked rice and enough liquid to make a mess. I can definitely return it. I will buy another one. Hope I do not encounter the same thing on another machine.

21. Evelyn Ng says:

I made the congee and my son likes it haha probably so hungry! Even though I grind the soaked rice, I still stirred and cooked for half an hour. Another mistake I made is putting the chicken ball too early and becomes minced chicken..due to my vigorous stirring! 😛

Evelyn Ng: That’s such a great news!! I’m so glad to hear that. I think the porridge must be super yummy after it’s well blended with the minced chicken! It’s correct to stir and cook the porridge for half an hour if you want a smooth texture. 😉

22. Tay says:

There is nothing superfast about this recipe.

Thanks for dropping by and your kind comment. I’m sorry if this recipe doesn’t meet your definition for “superfast”. However, for me, it’s indeed superfast when it takes just half an hour to make a smooth and delicious bowl of cantonese-style congee compared the usual 2 hours plus using the normal cooking pot method. That’s 75% saving in term of time!!

• Princess says:

I agree with Tay.
        there is nothing superfast about your recipe.
        first you say to rinse the rice and soak it for an hour. then take more time to blend it before you even start cooking.
        add up the time and I am sure it just took almost 2 hours.

Princess: In this post, my highlight is the cooking time between my method and the normal method. Soaking is just a precooking step. You can still do other tasks while soaking the rice. Blending only takes me 5 minutes. If you think the blending process is time-consuming, then please stay-tune with my upcoming post which I will share how to cook quick congee with frozen rice. 😉

23. Kelly says:

hello it’s me again. 😉
    just want to ask about step 3. why do we need to add the blended rice 2-3 batches?

thanks

Kelly: This is to avoid the blended rice from forming any lumps. If you are not fast enough to stir them, you will get lumps easily at the initially stage. 😉

24. Yixi says:

Hi LK, thanks for all your sharing, I have been adding on to my ‘sure win’ recipes for my family since learning from you.
    Just a few things to check with you. Why do we need to add a little oil when blending the rice. Also why do we need to add the rice and stock in batches?
    Lastly, I hope to invest in an oven to try your baking recipes. Can you advise me on what to look out for when selecting an oven? I am absolutely clueless… Thanks in advance!

Yixi: Thanks for your wonderful comment. Practice makes perfect, nothing is impossible. If the ground rice grain is coated with oil, it will avoid any lumps from forming during cooking and also enhance the smoothness of the congee. Adding rice and stock in batches is to speed up the breaking up process for the rice grain.

For oven size, the bigger the better as it will provide you with more capacities to bake/ roast/ grill. Choose a reliable brand with good after sales service and warranty. Other things to consider are: the quality of the material used to make the oven, fan/ without fan and heat source. Hope it helps! 😉

25. Yixi says:

Thank you for your prompt reply and advice :))

26. […] time so that the rice fully breaks down and you no longer see the granules of rain. NOTE: Check out Food 4 Tots’ tips on how to make Congee quickly, when you don’t want or have time to spend 2 1/2-4 […]

27. Sheila Son says:

I recieved this email and I am wondering if this will work. Doesn’t sound right to me that is why I am asking for your opinion. lols ….It goes like this :We usually have to cook congee for at least 45 minutes before you can enjoy it. However, this method will get the job done in 10 minutes!

The secret is: First put a cup of rice, properly washed in the freezer and refrigerate them to rice icing in the freezer. To cook congee, just put the frozen rice in boiling water and cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, you will have a pot of nicely cooked soft congee.

Its principle is: After freezing, the structure of a grain of rice produces tiny spherical holes with enhanced water absorption. When put in hot water, the rice grains become loose, and the starch in the grain of rice begin to turn into a paste like which will turn into congee in a very short time.

Try it yourself. Once you have done once, you will store a small box of frozen rice in the freezer to make quick congee for breakfast, or for supper before going to sleep at night.

Very convenient indeed!

Sheila: I have read about this method before over the net but haven’t tried it before. The reason is that I’m not sure whether this method will affect the nutritional value of the rice grain. Anyway, there are many people including one of my blogger friends have tried and tested it. If you can read Chinese and understand Cantonese, please check out this blog post and the video clip to learn more about it – http://bit.ly/10W21MZ. Hope your query is answered. 😉

28. Yum says:

Is it a must for it to marinate for 30mins? Is it possible to just season it and form it into chicken balls and add into the stew? 🙂

29. Jam says:

This is brilliant; thank you!!