If you like this article, please share:
RECIPE FOR JAPANESE EGG SALAD SANDWICHES
Adapted and modified: A Cook’s Journey to Japan by Sarah Marx Feldner
Makes: 4 whole sandwiches
8 slices sandwich bread (white/ wholemeal)
4 hard-boiled eggs (peeled and crushed)
1 cup slivered carrots [about 1 medium carrot] (peeled and cut into matchsticks)
1 cup slivered Japanese cucumbers [about 1 ½ cucumber] (deseeded and cut into matchsticks)
For the marinade:
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
For egg-mayo mixture:
50g mayonnaise (Japanese/ Western)
For bread spread:
75g mayonnaise (Japanese/ Western)
½ tsp hot mustard (I used 1 tsp fine whole grain mustard)
- Mix the sugar, soy sauce and rice wine vinegar in a small bowl till the sugar dissolves. Place the cucumbers and carrots in separate bowls and divide the sauce between the two. Combine well the ingredients with the sauce. Marinate for 1 hour.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs and 50g of mayonnaise. Set aside.
- In another bowl, stir together the remaining 75g of mayonnaise and mustard. Set aside.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise mustard mixture on each slice of bread.
- Gently squeeze the remaining liquid from the cucumbers. Divide the cucumbers into 3 portions. Place one portion of the cucumbers at a diagonal on the bread with the spread, from bottom left corner to upper right corner to form a “/” mark. Repeat with the other two slices of bread.
- Gently squeeze the remaining liquid from the carrots. Divide the carrots into 3 portions. Place one portion of the carrots at an opposite diagonal of the same bread, to form a “X” mark. Repeat with the other two slices of bread.
- When done, place a small spoonful of the egg-mayonnaise mixture in each of the four empty triangle spaces between the veggies. Repeat with the other two slices of bread.
- Top each sandwich with the remaining three slices of mayonnaise-mustard bread. Cut each sandwich into four triangular wedges to reveal the colourful vegetables.
- If your child is not interested in wholemeal bread, you can combine white bread and wholemeal bread.
- To prevent soggy sandwiches, pack the bread and other ingredients in separate containers or ziplock bags and assemble before eating.