If you like this article, please share:
300g green radish （青罗卜）- refer photo
300g carrot (红罗卜/胡萝卜）
19g bitter almonds/ bitter apricot seeds or kernels (北杏）
19g sweet almonds/ sweet apricot seeds or kernels (南杏）
3 candied dates (蜜枣）
350g lean pork
1.4 litre water (As the author didn’t provide the quantity, I had included the quantity based on my estimation)
Salt to taste
- Rinse pork and scald it in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Peel green radish and carrots. Rinse and cut into pieces. Rinse the remaining ingredients.
- Put all the ingredients into a pot and add water. Bring to the boil. Reduce to low heat and cook for 2 hours. Season with salt. Serve.
- Sweet almonds/ bitter apricot kernels or seeds (南杏)- It tastes sweet and is neutral in nature. It is non-toxic and relieves cough.
- Bitter almonds/ bitter apricot kernels or seeds (北杏)- It heals cough and expels phlegm. [WARNING: As bitter almond carries a slight trace of toxins (cyanide), please use it with extreme caution. There is a concern about the potential health effects associated with large numbers of bitter apricot kernels being consumed on a regular basis, particularly by young children (as mentioned in this link). It is also not advisable for pregnant ladies. If you’re not comfortable eating it, then exclude it from the recipe. Other reading reference: Is it safe to eat bitter apricot kernels by David Lebovitz.]