Popcorn is high on fiber, low on calories, but also packed with energy. Compared to sugar-filled candy or chocolate bars, popcorn is still a better (if not the best) choice for snack. If prepare correctly and eat in moderation, it can be considered a healthy snack for kids.
You should consider making your own popcorn rather than buying from outside. Firstly, the corn kernels are inexpensive. Secondly, it’s super easy-to-make, and not to mention the wonderful aroma that fills the air. Thirdly, it’s healthier as you can control the amount of sugar, butter and Trans fat that go into your family’s stomach. Needless to say, plain popcorn is the healthiest choice. But if you find it hard to accept the plain ones, then strike a balance by mixing half of the plain ones with whatever seasoned flavour of your preference.
Besides being an all-time favorite snack, popcorn can be a great science experiment for kids. Making popcorn is not only fun, it’s also an interesting “cooking with kids” project for parents. For smaller kids, it’s like magic to them when they watch how dried kernels explode and “transform” into popcorn. You can also let them see how the kernel pops in super slow motion from this video clip.
Although popcorn is a healthy and delicious snack, parents should take extra precautions for the health risks involved when introducing popcorn to their kids as mentioned below:
Hence, kids need to sit down while eating their popcorn under close adult supervision.
My son is always curious about popcorn whenever he read about it or sees them from the television shows. After much consideration and lots of empty promises from this health-freak mommy, he finally got to taste his first ever (homemade) popcorn. He was so excited, grinning from ear-to-ear when he held his cup of popcorn for a photo shoot! Much to my “regret” for asking him to pose some eating actions, he conveniently finished off 2 cups in seconds before I could capture the right shot. Of course, I’m no less smarter than him. I only put 20% of popcorn in the cup and filled up the rest of 80% with kitchen towel.
In the end, I decided to swap him with his favourite soft toy to shoot for this post. At least, it’s more “obedient” and my popcorn is “safe” throughout the whole shooting. But, I got a “scolding” from my son because I had messed up his “pet” with the popcorn.
Craving for popcorns? Make some today and enjoy them while watching your favourite movies on the couch. (Honey! Shall we fix a date for movie this weekend? I will treat you with my special homemade popcorn.)
If you are still looking for super-easy snacks to entertain your guests during this forthcoming Lunar New Year Festival, popcorn is definitely going to be a great hit. Just be prepared to make double or triple the suggested amount for this recipe.
To find out more information about popcorn, please refer to this site.
>>>>> Click onto get the recipe and tips on how to pop the corns and making caramel popcorn…… If you like this article, please share: