RECIPE FOR SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS STIR-FRY
200g fresh shiitake mushrooms (gross weight)
2 tsp garlic – chopped
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine )
2 tbsp sake (Japanese rice wine) – (Mine is a sake style cooking seasoning/料理酒 as shown in the photo)
1 tsp sugar
Dash of pepper
- Combine all the seasonings in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Rinse mushrooms. Blanch over hot water (about 20 seconds). Drain. Trim the stems. If the mushrooms are huge in size, slice them into halves at 45°. Set aside.
- Heat up wok with oil. Sauté garlic lightly.
- Add in mushrooms and stir-fry under high heat until the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Add in seasonings and stir-fry under medium-low heat until the sauce is thickened. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Dish up and serve.
- To avoid the garlic from tasting bitter, chop it coarsely and then sauté briefly.
- Do not over blanch the mushrooms as this will make them soggy.
- You can substitute shiitake with brown enoki, white shimeji or buna shimeji.
- If you don’t have Japanese sake on hand, you can try substituting it with Chinese rice wine. But please bear in mind that the dish will end up tasting different to a discerning eater, but still delicious nonetheless.
If you like this article, please share: