If you like this article, please share:
RECIPE FOR CHICKEN WITH HOISIN SAUCE
Source: My own concortion
3 chicken whole legs
3 tbsp hoisin sauce (Lee Kum Kee)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp light soy sauce
Dash of sesame oil and pepper
Cornflour solution for thickening (dilute cornflour with water)
(A) Normal method (Steaming):
- Remove skin from the chicken, trim excess fat and rinse. Pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Place chicken in a mixing bowl and add in seasonings. Mix well until the chicken is coated thoroughly. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and keep in the fridge to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Steam chicken at high heat for 20 minutes or until cooked and tender.
- Remove from the steamer and leave the chicken to cool down before cutting it into pieces.
- Arrange the chicken chunks onto a serving platter.
- Pour the chicken sauce (the liquid on the steaming tray) into a wok and bring it to a boil. Simmer for a while and then thicken with cornflour solution. Pour over the chicken chunks and serve immediately.
(B) AMC methods:
- Follow step 1 and 2 from normal method.
- Arrange the chicken neatly in a AMC cooking pot/ wok. Cover with lid.
- Heat up the pot/ wok. Under medium low heat, cook the chicken (with lid) until the timer pointer reaches 3 o’clock direction.
- Switch off the heat. Wait till the timer pointer returns to 12 o’clock direction before opening the lid.
- Remove chicken from the AMC cooking pot/ wok and leave it to cool down before cutting it into bite-sized pieces.
- Follow step 5 from normal method.
- Heat up the chicken sauce (the liquid during the cooking) in the AMC cooking pot/ wok and bring it to a boil. Simmer for a while and then thicken with cornflour solution. Pour over the chicken chunks and serve immediately.
- You can leave the skins intact if you don’t mind the extra calories.
- Use a fork to pierce a few holes onto the chicken so that the seasonings can penetrate the chicken thoroughly. But it is is optional.
- Leave the leftover sauce aside and only cook it just before serving. If the sauce is quite thick, then there is no need to thicken it anymore.
- Remember to cool down the chicken before cutting it into bite-sized pieces.
- To make the sauce more flavourful, sauté some chopped onion and then add in the sauce for cooking. For AMC method, sauté the chopped onion in step 2 and cook together with the chicken.