If you like this article, please share:
RECIPE FOR OKRA WITH TOMATO SAUCE
Source: My own concoction
110g chicken breast (minced coarsely)
120g okra (lady fingers)
200g tomatoes (or 2 medium sized tomatoes)
½ medium size onion (chopped finely)
3½ tbsp tomato ketchup/ tomato sauce (I used Maggi brand with less salt)
½ tsp light soy sauce
½ tsp sugar
Dash of pepper
1 tbsp water
- For minced chicken, marinate with dash of light soy sauce, sugar and corn flour. Refrigerate for at least ½ hour.
- For okra, wash and rinse. Remove the top and tip (optional). You can either steam or blanch them. But I prefer steaming as it can retain its nutrients and self-digesting enzymes.
For steaming: Place the okra on a steaming tray and steam until cooked. Discard water if any.
For blanching: Add water to a wok/ pot and bring it to a boil. Blanch okra until cooked. Dish up and arrange on a serving plate.
- For tomatoes, add some water in a cooking pot and bring it to a boil. (Note: Make sure the water level is enough to cover the tomatoes). Remove the stems. Use the tip of a knife to cut a very shallow “X” on the bottom. . Drop the tomatoes into the boiling water. Keeping them in for just 30 seconds and removing them quickly. Once the tomatoes get cooled, peel off the skin, remove the seeds and chop finely.
- Heat up wok with oil. Sauté onion until fragrant.
- Add in minced chicken. Do not stir fry immediately. Let it cook with medium heat for a while until it is slightly caramelized. Turn it over and continue to cook until caramelized. This will increase the aroma of the minced chicken. Reduce the heat to low and start to loosen up the minced chicken into small pieces.
- Add in tomatoes and mix well.
- Add in seasonings and stir-fry until combined. Simmer until the sauce is thicken. Adjust the taste according to your own preference. If it is too sour, add dash of sugar. If it is too sweet, add dash of light soy sauce. If the tomato gravy is too dry, add dash of water.
- Pour it over the cooked okra and serve immediately.