If you like this article, please share:
Recipe for Cream of Mushroom Soup (2)
Source: Own concoction by modifying my cream of mushroom soup (1)
200g (1 box) Swiss brown (see photo below)/ button mushrooms (chopped)
1 medium stalk of celery (diced)
1 medium white onion (diced)
1 tbsp plain flour (heapful)
300ml chicken stock/ broth (or dilute 2 tbsp Maggi concentrated chicken stocks with water) – You can add another 50ml stock if you want a more diluted soup
100g pure cream (I use Bulla pure cream with 45% milk fat content)
Salt and black pepper to taste
Fresh chopped parley and sliced mushrooms for garnishing (optional)
- Melt butter in a cooking pot.
- Lightly sauté onion under medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Add in mushrooms and celery, and sauté until medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid released by the mushrooms is fully evaporated.
- Stir in flour and mix well with the ingredients.
- Gradually stir in the chicken stock until the soup becomes thick. Bring to a boil.
- Cover with lid and simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the soup from sticking to the bottom.
- After that, turn off the heat and let the soup cool a little. Then pour into a blender and blend in batches.
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot.
- Add in pure cream and reheat gently for another 3-4 minutes. Be careful not to over-boil it.
- Season with salt and black pepper. Garnish with some chopped parsleys and sliced mushrooms. Serve with some garlic breads.
- Do not soak fresh mushrooms in water as they are very absorbent and will release too much liquid during cooking. Wipe off any dirt from the mushrooms with damp paper towels. If the mushrooms are really dirty, put them in a colander and rinse quickly under a running water. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Black pepper, preferably fresh grounded, is the key seasoning for this soup.
- Mushroom stems are used in this soup.