If you like this article, please share:
Recipe for Minced Fish with Tofu (鱼蓉豆腐羹)
Adapted and modified – A Cook’s book of fish (鱼儿香)
230-250g fish flesh (net weight) (N1)
1 box smooth tofu/ beancurd (approx 300g)
100 ml chicken stock/ 鸡汤或上汤 (N2)
1-1½ tbsp cornstarch solutions (mix corn flour with some water)
1 tbsp chopped spring onions
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp sugar
¼ tsp sesame oil
1/8 tsp pepper
- Heat up oil to pan-fry fish until cooked properly. Dish up. De-bone, flake out and loosen the fish flesh. Set aside.
- Remove tofu from the box. Pat dry with kitchen towel. Cut into 2cm cubes.
- Heat up 1 tbsp oil to slightly pan-fry the tofu cubes. Then add in fish flesh and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add in seasonings and stir-fry until well combined.
- Pour in chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Simmer for a while.
- Thicken the dish with cornstarch solutions.
- Sprinkle with chopped spring onions and chopped coriander leaves. (N5)
- Dish up and serve when it is hot.
- The original recipe called for grouper haddock/ ikan kerapu (石斑鱼) but I used threadfin/ ikan kurau fish fillet (马友鱼). If you cook this dish for kids, it is recommended to use fish fillet because less risk of omitting fish bones during the process of de-boning.
- I mixed 1 teaspoon of Maggi chicken concentrate stock with 100 ml water to make the stock. You do not need to use all the stocks. It depends on the consistency you require for the dish.
- Do not over-stir the ingredients. Otherwise, they will turn mushy.
- Refer to this post on how to remove tofu/ beancurd.
- Before dishing up, you can add a dash of pepper and sesame oil to give this dish extra flavour.