If you like this article, please share:
RECIPE FOR STEAMED SWEET POTATO BUNS
Yields: 24 buns
500g Hong Kong flour (low protein flour) – sieved
250g water (lukewarm water)
125g castor sugar
2 tsp instant dried yeast
1 tbsp shortening
Use the same white dough ingredients plus 2 extra items as below:
– 200-250g orange flesh sweet potatoes
– A few pandan leaves/ screwpine leaves (washed and tied into a knob)
(A) How to make orange dough:
- Sweet potatoes: wash, peel skins, cut into chunks and soak in water for 10 minutes. Steam them together with pandan leaves until soft. Mash it with a fork until it has become puree. Set aside.
- Add sugar into 125g water. Stir to dissolve. Add in instant yeast. Let it stand until the yeast becomes creamy.
- Mix the mashed sweet potatoes with some flour until well combined. Then put it into the bread machine together with the remaining flour, yeast mixture (step 2) and shortening. Let the bread machine knead until a soft and smooth dough is formed. If the dough is too dry, slowly add in the remaining 125g water but stop once the desired consistency is achieved. (It is also the first time I witnessed how amazing a bread machine can do the kneading job even though I had heard about it for many times. It is indeed a great kitchen tool to own if ones has no constraint on both budget and space.)
- If you don’t have bread machine, follow step 1 and 2. Then, put the flour in a large mixing bowl and make a well. Add in yeast mixture (in step 2) and mashed sweet potato. Knead to form a dough. Then add in shortening and knead well until a soft and smooth dough is formed. If the dough is too dry, slowly add in the remaining 125g water and stop once the desired consistency is achieved.
- Cover dough with damp cloth or cling wrap. Leave aside to rise for 30 minutes, or until they have doubled its size. To test, press with a finger. The depression should not rise up.
(B) How to make white dough:
- Repeat the same process as per orange dough.
(C) How to make buns:
- Gently deflate the dough.
- Turn the dough out to a lightly floured surface.
- Knead the dough into a long roll. Cut the dough into 24 slices for each colour. Let to rise for 10 minutes.
- Place one slice of white dough on top of one slice of orange dough and press both ends gently to seal it.
- Hold both ends and pull slightly. Twist the combined slices and bring both ends together to form a bun shape.
- Place on a piece of square grease-proof paper and arrange it on a steaming tray. Leave about 1 inch gap in between the buns.
- Cover the buns with damp cloth or cling. Leave to rise for another 30 minutes, or until they have doubled in sizes.
- Steam in a preheated steamer under high heat for 10-12 mins. Do not open the lid during the steaming process.
- Remove buns from steamer and cool on rack.
- During kneading, if the dough is too wet, add some more flour. If it is too dry, add a bit of water.
- The top and bottom of the sweet potatoes should be discarded.
- It is easier to mash the sweet potatoes when they are still hot from the steamer.
- You can simplify this recipe either by reducing the required amount of ingredients by half or just make the orange dough and shape into round shape buns.