If you have lots of asparagus on hand and are running out-of-time, it is a perfect recipe for you to prepare a tasty asparagus soup with some simple ingredients and easy steps. It can be served hot or very well-chilled.
Source: Adapted and modified from The Delia Collection: Soup
½ medium onion (finely chopped)
½ slightly rounded tbsp plain flour
500 ml hot chicken stock (you can replace with vegetable stock)
75 ml double cream (I use thickening cream)
Salt and freshly grounded black pepper
1) Slice tips from asparagus. Blanch in salted boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and reserve for garnishing.
2) Discard the tough, stringy white ends of the stalks. Chop the green parts into 2.5cm lengths.
3) Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat and cook the onion for 5 mins.
4) Add in asparagus and sweat for about 10 mins with lid on. Stir occasionally.
5) Add in flour and stir again to soak up the juices.
6) Add in hot chicken stock, a little at a time, stirring after each addition.
7) Bring it to simmering point, season with salt and black pepper.
8) Simmer the soup under low heat for 20-25 minutes, partially covered.
9) Let the soup cool a little and puree in a food processer or blender in batches.
10) Adjust seasonings if necessary.
11) Stir in cream and re-heat gentlely for 3-4 minutes.