(Have you ever wondered how does my “Emperor” look like? Take a look at those fingers holding the zucchini cake. Can you guess?)
When I was browsing through some food blogs, I came across another interesting recipe using zucchini. The cooking method is totally different from my previous posting. As it only required some simple ingredients and demonstrated all the steps with illustrations, I was so impressed and can’t wait to try it out the next day.
1 large zucchini
1 tbsp minced garlic
½ – ¾ cup of breadcrumbs
½ cup 4-cheese Italian Blend (or Parmesan or Romano)
1 -2 eggs
Freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil (cooking)
1) Wash and cut the ends off of one large zucchini. Shred it using the large holes of a cheese grater. Squeeze the shredded zucchini inside of a clean towel until you’ve removed as much liquid as possible.
2) Place shredded zucchini into a medium sized bowl. Add minced garlic, breadcrumbs, cheese (shredded), egg and kosher salt and pepper to taste. Stir with a fork until well mixed.
3) Heat olive oil (about ¼ inch deep in bottom of skillet) to a medium heat. When the oil is hot enough drop a glob of zucchini batter into the skillet and flatten it a bit. After about 2 minutes, turn the cakes over (they should be a nice golden-brown) and cook on the other side until done (about 2-3 minutes)
4) Serve with the dipping sauce of your choice and enjoy!
3 things that I had modified:
a) As I didn’t have a large zucchini on hand, the mixture I made was slight dry. So I made them into small patties.
b) I used lesser oil and pan-fried the patties.
c) I used 2 types of freshly grated cheese: parmesan and mozzarella
Results: Although it has more cheesy taste, it is still delicious! If you are looking for a simple recipe which uses zucchini, give it a try!
If you like this article, please share:
- This post was featured in The Stir by CafeMom (Jan 2010) – Toddler Finger Foods: 7 meals they will pick up and eat.
- Please also check out : zucchini cakes – revisit