This afternoon, I had created a very “fusion” combo for my son and myself.
=> Cabbage omelettes + sesame seeds rice balls + stir-fried mushrooms.
(However, my son who is a fan of soup, after finishing his meals, said “Mummy, where is today’s soup?” :-[ )
This lunch combo is also great to use as a bento set. Recipes for cabbage omelette rolls and sesame seeds rice ball are adapted and modified from Mitong’s (小小米桶) website.
A) Cabbage omelette rolls (高丽菜/包菜蛋卷)
– For step-by-step illustrations, please refer to this link.
100g cabbage (washed, drained and shredded finely) – discard the hard parts
1 clove garlic (pat it flat and minced)
1 tsp dried shrimp (washed, soaked, pat dry and chopped coarsely)
Dash of salt and white pepper
4 eggs (lightly beaten) – divide into 4 portions, 2 portions for 1 omelette
(Use fork/ chopsticks to slowly beat the eggs in a small circular direction to avoid creating bubbles)
Pinch of salt
1) Heat up a non-stick pan with oil. Sautee minced garlic and dried shrimps until fragrant.
2) Add in cabbage and stir-fry until cooked. Add in seasonings. Dish up and set aside.
3) Heat up the pan again with a little bit of oil (Make sure the pan is clean). Use a piece of kitchen towel to wipe the pan so that it is well-coated with oil.
4) When the oil is heated, pour 1 portion of the egg mixture over the pan, swirl the mixture to form the omelette, cook under low heat.
5) When the omelette is 50% cooked, add in cabbage. Use a chopstick/ spatula to roll up the omelette.
6) Push it to the side of the pan. Pour another 1 portion and cook until 70% harden. Then under low fire, slowly fold/roll up the omelette.
7) When the folding is done, cook it with medium heat until the surface turns slightly to
8) Dish up and cut with a knife.
You can watch a video clip for ideas on how to roll up the omelette (tamagoyaki).
B) Sesame seeds rice ball
- For step-by-step illustrations, please refer to this link.
- I had omitted bacon and spinach from the original recipe (bacon spinach rice ball 培根菠菜饭团) because I didn’t have these 2 ingredients on hand.
Cooked rice – 1 rice bowl
Black and white sesame seeds – ½ tsp each
Pinch of salt
1) Put black and white sesame seeds in a frying pan. Dry fry over a low heat until fragrant.
2) Pour rice, both seeds and salt on a bowl, mixed well and divided into the required portions.
3) Scoop up 1 tablespoonful of rice mixture and put on top of a cling wrap/ plastic paper (cut into square shape). Shape it like a ball. Make sure the cling wrap is closed tightly.
1) Prepare some water in case the rice sticks on your hand.
2) For a more tasty rice ball, cook rice with concentrated stocks.
C) Stir-fry mushrooms
- Similar to recipe in mushroom rice
100-150g enoki bunch mushrooms + button mushrooms (chopped) (any combination)
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp Chinese cooking rice wine
1 tbsp mirin (Japanese sweet cooking wine)
2 tbsp light soya sauce
Dash of sugar and pepper
1) Heat up pan with oil. Sautee minced garlic until fragrant.
2) Add in mushroom. Add in dash of sugar. Stir fry for a while.
3) Add in mirin and light soya sauce and cooked until the sauce has thicken.