Chowder is a special kind of thick soup from New England in the USA
Below is the recipe adapted from Children’s Healthy & Fun Cookbook .
1 large onion
200g fresh, frozen or tinned sweetcorn
1 large carrot
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 bouquet garni (optional)
1 bay leaf
1.2 litres vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel and roughly chop the onion. Scrub the carrot and then thinly slice it. Finally, peel the potatoes and then cut them into small pieces.
2. Hear the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and saute over a medium heat for 8 mins or until soft and slightly golden. Stir the onion occasionally.
3. Next, add the corn, carrot, potatoes, bouquet garni and bay leaf to the onions. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the stock and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat to medium to low. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the milk and cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Scoop out some of the vegetables and blend the rest of the soup until smooth. Return the vegetables and blended soup to the pan and warm through.
1. If you prefer a chunky soup, leave out step 5. Otherwise, blend all the mixture in step 5 until the soup is creamy and smooth.
2. You can serve it with bread rolls, rice or pasta.
3. For a delicious smoked flavour, add chunk of smoked haddock to this soup. Add the fish in step 4 with the milk and simmer for 5 mins or until cooked.