The 2 key differences between cooking yam rice and cooking pumpkin rice are that you need to pre-fry the yam cubes and add the yam when the rice is boiling. Thanks to the mommy who had recommended me this wonderful recipe!
Below is a modified version of my yam rice (ingredients are quite similar to pumpkin rice):
120g rice (2 persons) – rinse and soak for 15 mins
200g yam (cut into 1cm x 1cm cube, rinse and pat-dry, pre-fry until lightly brown)
* Do not wash the yam before peeling off the skin to avoid itches on the hands.
80g vegetarian cubed ham (you can substitute with pork or chicken)
5 fresh medium size shiitake mushroom (wash with running water, blanch over hot water and slice thinly)
25g dried shrimp (wash, pre-soak for 15 mins, retain water for cooking later)
5 shallots (slice thinly)
4 tbsp oils
Water for cooking (depending on the type of rice used. I used long-grained rice to cook)
Spring onions (for garnishing)
1½ tbsp light soya sauce
2 tsp dark soya sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil
Dash of pepper
1. Heat up 3 tbsp oil. Fry shallots until golden brown. Dish up and set aside.
2. Heat up another 1 tbsp oil, add in dried prawns and stir fry under low heat until fragrant.
3. Push the dried prawns to the side, add in vegetarian cubed ham and stir-fry for a while.
4. Add in mushroom and stir fry for 2 mins.
5. Add in pre-soaked rice, ½ of the fried shallots, then followed by seasonings. Stir well until all are evenly coated.
6. Transfer all the ingredients to a cooking pot, add water until 1cm above the surface fo the rice.
7. Cook the rice until it is boiling and half-cooked, add in pre-fried yam. Stir well and cover the lid. Continue cooking until it is completely cooked.
8. For those who cooks using pot or wok, add water to cover the mixture, reduce heat to low, cover and cook slowly, stir occasionally to prevent burning.
9. Serve rice with a sprinkle with spring onion and fried shallots.