I am not a big fan for french toast but eating french toast brings back many fond memories during my childhood days. This is my first attempt and the recipe is modified based on this website.
5 slices leftover English breads
200ml fresh milk
1½ tsp sugar
Pinch of salt
Dash of cinnamon powder (optional)
Butter (for pan-frying)
Kaya (idea from this food blogger), peanut butter, fruit jam (own choice of toppings)
1. Cut each bread into 4 slices.
2. Break eggs into a wide, shallow mixing bowl, beat lightly with a fork. Stir in sugar, salt, milk and cinnamon powder.
3. Over medium-low heat, heat frying pan with a thin layer of butter.
4. Place the bread slices, one at a time, into the bowl or plate, letting slices soak up egg mixture for a few seconds. Then carefully turn to coat the other side. Soak/coat only as many slices as you will be cooking at one time. (Difference bread requires difference soaking time. To prevent oversoaking, I quickly put my slices in and out the mixture, set aside and repeat this step just before putting it into the frying pan.)
5. Transfer bread slices to frying pan, heating slowly until bottom is golden brown. Turn and brown the other side. Recoat the pan with butter after each slice.
6. Serve French toast hot with your own choice of toppings.
Bon appetit!If you like this article, please share: