2 red apples (medium size)
25g white fungus
300g lean pork
30g sweet and bitter almond (南北杏) – also known as sweet and bitter apricot seeds or kernels – please refer to note below
4 candied dates (big)
1000 ml water
Salt to taste (optional)
- Peel and core the apples, then rinse and chop them into 8 pieces. Set aside.
- Rinse lean pork and cut into 3 pieces, blanch in boiling water. Dish up and set aside.
- Rinse candied dates and sweet & bitter almonds. Set aside.
- Add water in a cooking pot and boil. Add all ingredients in the boiling water. When the water is re-boiled, switch to low fire and cook for 2 hours.
- Turn off heat. Add salt to taste.
If you like this article, please share:
- Sweet almonds/ sweet apricot kernels or seeds (南杏)- It tastes sweet and is neutral in nature. It is non-toxic and relieves cough.
- Bitter almonds/ bitter apricot kernels or seeds (北杏)- It heals cough and expels phlegm. [WARNING: As bitter almond carries a slight trace of toxins (cyanide), please use it with extreme caution. There is a concern about the potential health effects associated with large numbers of bitter apricot kernels being consumed on a regular basis, particularly by young children (as mentioned in this link). It is also not advisable for pregnant ladies. If you’re not comfortable eating it, then exclude it from the recipe. Other reading reference: Is it safe to eat bitter apricot kernels by David Lebovitz.]
Leave a comment